The church has always had a special place for Mary. The Oblates of Mary Immaculate, the Religious Congregation in whose care the parish is, took Mary as their role model.
When the Mission Church at Brighton Beach was built in 1921 a Statue of Our Lady was placed on the Bell tower.
In 1974 when the mission church was demolished, the Statue of our Lady was rescued.
Over a period of time the grotto developed until it was finally completed at the same time as the Wall of Remembrance was built in 2000.